Our places of work can often get a musty odour from time to time, particularly over weekends or holidays when there’s nobody there to throw open a window or two! It’s no wonder there can be a build-up of smells with the amount of ‘people traffic’ moving through the premises on a daily basis. So it’s all too easy to find the solution in a tin of air freshener, and spray around the offending areas.
Air freshener exposure, even at low levels can have some adverse health effects. After all, over 100 different chemicals are emitted into the atmosphere each time we spray. It’s worth remembering that the lungs of young children, the elderly and people with some medical conditions may not be able to filter out these chemicals quite as effectively as a healthy adult, sometimes resulting in breathing difficulties, headaches, migraine and asthma attacks.
Perhaps tackling the root of the problem is key. A stricter cleaning regime will help, as well as thoroughly airing rooms to combat stubborn odours rather than masking them with fresh smelling sprays.
Here are some simple ideas to incorporate at your workplace:
- Ventilation – wherever possible open windows for at least a few minutes a day to let in some fresh air, and to let nasty odours escape.
- Plant life – some plants can absorb waste chemicals and odours from the atmosphere. Peace lilies in particular are perfect for this with their rich dark green foliage clumps.
- Odour absorbing paint – there are certain types of paint on the market that will help purify the air. Decorate the place right now!
- If you must use an air freshener, try to use one that isn’t labelled as fragranced. Try to research a more natural alternative.
- Clean up regularly – don’t leave washing up or waste food laying by the sink. Deal with it to avoid nasty smells.
- Bicarbonate of Soda – a natural alternative for fridges and microwaves. A small dish placed in both will absorb any unwanted odours.
These tips are all manageable on a day to day basis, but it might be sensible to hire a commercial cleaning contractor to really get down to the nitty gritty. Effective and thorough daily cleaning will stop the build-up of dirt, grime and smells at the source.
Get in touch with us to discuss our range of services and for a no obligation quote.